Thursday 10 May 2012

Great Expectations or, "How I can't afford a HDTV you pretentious fuck."


For anybody that isn't aware yet, I'm a gamer. My hobbies and interests tend to revolve around a digital world filled with whatever else somebody has come up with me to explore, talk to, and occasionally kill.

Any hobby is expensive when you really think about it, so any purchase for that hobby generally has to be justified if you barely have the money to support yourself, so when Minecraft (an Indie game originally released in Beta for the PC) was announced for the Xbox 360 I was quite happy, but couldn't justify the purchase as I already had the PC version (which only cost me about £5 by the way).

Then they announced 4-player drop-in/drop-out co-op meaning that all my friends that enjoyed Minecraft, but didn't have a PC or the money to get their own copy on PC, could potentially come round mine and we could have fun building things, exploring a world, leading Creepers up to each other, etc, etc.

So that was the justification. Buy the game for the 360, have fun with friends for countless hours. I saved for several months to put the money aside to get the game when it was released.

The game was released yesterday for 1600 Microsoft Points (roughly £17), and I bought it immediately. My friends sat with their controllers in hand (which they'd brought themselves, not purchased by me), and waited patiently for the game to load up and for co-op fun to begin.

There was no option for me to have co-op. All the settings were there, but whenever I tried to invite anybody to the game, it couldn't be done.

A quick jump online lead me to THIS forum thread which in turn lead me to the tweet below from the developers:


So, hang on...I need an HDTV and component cables to be able to enjoy this in splitscreen with my friends? I don't remember reading this in any of the official advertising or marketing:


Yep, there we go, it says Offline co-op 1-4 player, but no mention of needing an HDTV to be able to play it like that. Usually something that important will be noted, like when a game needs you to play online to access the co-op, see how they note you need to be online to play 1-8 player co-op?

Needless to say, I complained about it. I've complained to the developer, I've complained to Microsoft, and I've been interviewed by Kotaku.

The developer didn't respond. Microsoft said they won't give me a refund. The Kotaku article lead to many people saying I need to get myself out of the stone age.

In response to 4J Studios:

This annoys me, mostly because it wasn't advertised. You have your reasons for not letting SDTV owners play splitscreen, but perhaps you should have also mentioned it in the advertising. The vast majority of people I know don't own a HDTV, and cannot afford one, so as far as I can tell you're blocking out a large group of possible customers. Like I say, that's fine, but some warning would have been nice.

In response to Microsoft:

You say you can't give me a refund because the game works fine. It doesn't work as advertised though does it? I don't want my money back, I just want my points back so I can purchase a different game that I can enjoy with my friends.

The Kotaku out-rage:




Believe it or not, there's more of this all over the comments section. People that seem convinced that money grows from trees, that having different budgets means you're lower than them, that not having the latest gadget means you're an idiot.

Is it genuinely hard to believe that it takes time for someone to save up enough money to treat themselves on a cheap game? Why? We're going through a recession, we don't all have jobs.

Why do these people seem convinced that it's ok to lord this sort of behaviour over other people? If my friend doesn't have the latest gadget, I don't laugh at them and say they're an idiot, I just ignore it, forget about it, whatever.

The main purpose of my complaint was that a game that I had saved up for, planned on buying for the big selling point (splitscreen co-op), was not advertised as requiring something else to play it. Like I've said multiple times, if I had known that it needed an HDTV, I wouldn't have bought it.

If I had a good job, I'd just go out an buy a HDTV, but I don't have a good job. What little money I have has to go towards more important things, and the one treat I get to pick me up when I'm feeling fucking miserable enough as it is? Can't play it properly.

Community reaction?

"Get a HDTV you jobless bell-end."

Thanks guys, thanks alot.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. The people that commented on the article.. Wow. Really?

    Minecraft graphics suck. Voxel based, sure, but also pixelated. There is NO reason it shouldn't support SDTV. How is it moving backwards if it supports SDTV? That makes absolutely no sense. It requires NO effort to enable it for SDTV for those who want it. This is bullshit and I regret ever buying Minecraft in the first place (not that I played it much to begin with).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I commented on the Kotaku article, but it's hidden until someone approves my comments for the site. Hope it gets approved. Here it is:
      "Late to the game, but... A lot of unnecessary comments on here about how he should get a HDTV, blah blah blah. Even if the game in splitscreen is bad quality, it shouldn't mean he should be, or anybody should be, stopped from being able to try it out anyways. Minecraft is a simple game, you don't need a lot of data from the screen to tell you what you're doing. Would be playable anyways. I fail to see the logic in "why should they support old tech?"... when it requires no extra effort to enable the multiplayer for any TV. In fact, it took extra effort to disable it.
      Furthermore, Andrew has the right to complain when the game wasn't advertised as such. It should say "Multiplayer required HDTV" or the like. He deserves a refund based on this alone. No one should have to assume an entire section of the game is disabled based on your TV when its not stated as such. If that's what's to be expected these days, then I'm appalled at the game industry and at those consumers who make it so.

      Edit: The BBB claimed Mass Effect 3 was technically falsely advertised based on how Bioware designed the game; if that passes as false advertisement, so the 360 version of Minecraft definitely does. "

      Delete